When it comes to makeup, some travelers will tell you that none of it is essential. They’re the gals who get by with a little moisturizer and a tube of lip balm. (I’m looking at you, sweet sister-in-law!) Others want to take every eye shadow they own and would gladly travel with that Caboodles they’ve had since middle school. (Anyone else a teenager in the 80s who coveted her friends’ Caboodles?)
I won’t lie. I like to wear a little makeup, and I like to maintain my beauty (ha!) routine when we’re traveling.
Girly stuff, like perfect hair and nails, has always been a bit beyond me, but I can manage to put on a little mascara with a degree of competence.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that I have recommended. While clicking these links won’t cost you any extra money, they will help me keep this site up and running.
When I travel, I pack makeup like I pack clothes. Every item has to be one I’ll use more than once. And nothing goes in that isn’t already part of my daily routine.
- Ulta BB Cream Beauty Balm: I love this stuff! It’s sheer and doesn’t feel heavy like foundation.
- E.L.F. Eyebrow gel: I stink at eyebrow management, so I just brush some of this on and it keeps my eyebrows under control.
- Ulta Mineral Powder Foundation: This powder works well for me. It’s never shiny.
- E.L.F. Blush: This blush stays on even when I’m all sweaty.
- EcoTools Kabuki powder brush
- EcoTools blush brush
- E.L.F. eyelid stuff: I swipe just a bit over my eyelids to keep my eyeshadow from disappearing within an hour of applying it.
- E.L.F. eyeshadow: To me, this eyeshadow works as well as the pricey stuff. And it’s only $2.00, so it’s not a tragedy if I drop it and it breaks all over the bathroom. Yeah, that happened last week.
- Eyelash curler: I know. I know. Many of you will say this tool is unnecessary, but it’s essential to me.
- Ulta Plush Drama Mascara: I’ve used several varieties of Ulta mascara and have liked all of them, except the Fiber kind.
- Burt’s Bees Lip Shine: I love this lip gloss. It’s comfortable to wear and not heavy like lipstick.
And a big exception:
Normally I just use regular mascara, but for travel I prefer to add the waterproofing coat for two reasons:
- One, on holiday, I’m typically outside a lot. That means I could get caught in the rain. I’m not going to miss the sights just because I don’t want my mascara to run. Waterproof mascara stands up to the weather, and I don’t look like a racoon in photos.
- Two, I cry easily, especially when it comes to Little A. Yep. I’ll admit that I tear up the moment she takes delight in a new experience. Even though I cry at the drop off a hat and make no secret of out, I don’t want photographic evidence of my mascara-streaked face.
There’s one last item. It’s also one I don’t use at home but make an exception for when traveling:
Makeup remover wipes.
In my daily routine, I swear by Almay Eye Makeup Remover and Cetaphil, but for travel I buy a travel pack of makeup remover wipes. They’re easy to pack, and they take up a little less room as you use them and throw them away.
So there it is, my Mostly Minimalist Travel Makeup Kit. It fits into a small pouch and has everything I need to feel put together.
What about you? What are your beauty essentials? Is there anything you can’t live without?